On August 11th, 2021, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) launched a new tool that will allow individuals to submit their citizenship applications online.
The portal will open in a phased approach. Those currently eligible to submit include individuals (without a family) without a representative. Applicants must also not be employed by the crown while living outside of Canada. Later in the year, IRCC plans to expand the portal to families and minors under 18. In 2022, IRCC will further expand the portal for the use of representatives and applicants working for the crown outside of Canada.
IRCC developed this tool as part of its modernization initiative. This year’s federal budget allocated significant funds to modernizing IRCC’s platform. This move to digital applications is good news for both applicants and immigration practitioners alike – the paper-based alternative being much more prone to cause delays and general exacerbation.
Who is eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship online?
At this time, candidates must meet the following requirements to apply for citizenship online:
- Are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship
- Have with a valid email address
- Are at least 18 years old at the time of submission
- Are applying as an individual (not with a family)
- You are not using a representative
- You are not meeting your physical presence requirements for time spent outside Canada working as a crown servant or as the family member of a crown servant
IRCC invites eligible applicants to start their applications by visiting “Apply for Canadian citizenship online”.